Posted by Patti @ ThatHelps
21 Joined

Interest: Animal Welfare

Purpose: Promote

Under 5 mins.

Would you know what to do if your best (furry) friend ingested something that was making them sick? There are several foods well-tolerated by humans, but to pets they are poisonous. Now in it's 46th year, National Poison Prevention Week shines a spotlight on knowing what to do quickly in the event your pet has eaten something poisonous.

🐾 If you're anything like me, many pet emergencies seem to happen when the primary vet is closed. Consider keeping these numbers in a common location (your refrigerator door, etc) so that you don't have to fumble around in an emergency. Here are three options to consider that can help:

- Contact the 24x7 Animal Poison Control line. Experts await at 855-764-7661.
- The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is also a great resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Call (888) 426-4435.
- Find our where your nearest 24x7 emergency vet hospital is and make note of their number.

🐾 Here's a refresher on common foods poisonous to pets:

- Xylitol, commonly found in sugarless gums, mints, and some candies
- Chocolate
- Certain types of lilies including tiger, day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese lilies, are highly toxic to cats.
- Many fertilizers are basic gastrointestinal irritants and when combined with other chemicals they can be harmful or deadly to pets. (The same applies to cleaning products.)
- Keep those human medications in hard to reach places! Common drugs like NSAIDs (Advil, Aleve, etc) and Tylenol as well as antidepressants can cause serious harm to your pets.

Source: Animal Poison Control; ASPCA
📸: Dog Time